Thursday, July 8, 2010

Funny Face Pumpkins

Aptos Community Garden - 7/6/2010

"Are you sure that's not a watermelon?!"

Uhm...I'm pretty sure. After someone questioned me on Facebook about the species of my plant, I started questioning myself and did a little bit of research to confirm I didn't get my tags mixed up. I'm pretty sure watermelon leaves and flowers look a bit different, and this baby is on it's way to being one of FOUR pumpkins making a run for it. There are a couple more that have bloomed that I've pruned back when they didn't look like they could go the distance, and the vines are still growing, so there is lots of hope for more as well.

For right now though, we're just going to focus on the family of four. I think they need names. 3 of them are growing on the same vine, and one is off on it's own on the other side. I'm getting pretty attached to them, and if they are going to eventually have faces anyway, I think I want to give them a little of personality as I cheer on their growing. Any suggestions?



No comments:

Post a Comment