Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A few words about the first days of planting my vegetable garden.

I can't believe what a blur that Sunday is. I definitely underestimated how long it would take me to assemble all those gopher cages, dig the holes and then put the plants in. I don't know if it was foolish or smart to power through that day and doing it without any planning or serious research. I just knew I was ready to start, and so I started. I knew the rain was coming, I knew my schedule was packed and I also knew myself and jumping in was the best way to start the momentum rolling and push the anxiety back. Families came and went, and I stayed solid and solo with my shovel and supplies until the sun came down. I don't really regret how it happened, I just know I will do that much better next year when I'm more prepared.

One of my favorite things about planting on opening day was the community sharing of plants. If someone had a leftover they didn't have room for, they passed it along to another garden. This is how I ended up with 2 sunflowers from a fantastic little girl. (Hers are FEET higher than mine right now, but I figure she waters less than me, because I also have vegetables.) I also really appreciated the numerous organic starts that the Surf City Growers donated to our cause, and have enjoyed the eclectic variety they provide for my garden. I would have never planted a green bean, but now love watching it chug along, and wish I had planted more of them!

It was neat to see it all in the ground, and how much space it already took up. I had no idea the squash plants were going to get so big, and I wasn't really sure anything was going to grow at all, I just knew I wanted to try a lot of things.

I was really proud for doing it all myself. I left with scratched arms, scorched skin and filthy clothes, but I knew that I had accomplished something really awesome. I still had no idea how hooked I would become.

Garden Day 1 - 4/18/2010:
Opening Day @ Aptos Community Garden

Garden after more planting - 4/23/2010:
Aptos Community Garden 4/23/10



No comments:

Post a Comment