Friday, June 18, 2010

Planting Log: Journal Entry 5/4/2010

Garden - 5/4/2010

I fertilized on 4/29, 1 handful per plant and then watered, and then watered again after work on 5/3.

On 5/4, I laid down the Naturescapes wood mulch on the lower 1/2 of the plants. (1 bag.) While there was a definite improvement over the water drainage, I am not sure this is the mulch I want to use, and didn't use the second bag. After watering again, I realized I probably should have used a different mulch, but who knows at this stage. (I just don't like the colored dye in the chips.)

Looks like the fertilizer, sun and water definitely are kicking in! Today I saw a tomato on the stupice and a little berry on one of the strawberries. The basil starts are lagging, but the thyme are starting to take shape. Not a ton of growth on the tomato starts either.

The petunias are NOT happy. I don't know what to do for them. They are the same as the ones that are thriving on my porch. It's too soon to say how the Alyssum is doing.

This is such a great after work release. I like the sun and the people. In some ways I get really intimidated by other gardeners and gardens, but also am pretty sure I am not worse than most of the pack, as I probably surrounded by others learning too. Plus, I even got a few compliments on my garden. It may look good, but I just hope it doesn't go to hell with pests and disease and etc. I will just remind myself now - Don't be afraid to just rip a section our and try again. This is just THIS YEAR and for you and this space.

I noticed significant more weeds today after fertilizing this week, but I also got a lavender flower.

Garden - 5/4/2010

Are the yellow squash leaves a sign of bad drainage or just yellow squash leaves are yellow?

Garden - 5/4/2010

I will water again on Friday.



No comments:

Post a Comment